The Department of Civil Engineering conducts research work in the following areas:
- Thickness of the concrete covering for protecting the reinforced concrete from corrosion, and limiting cracking.
- Non-linear push analysis, for bridges.
- Endurance to cutting and bending of resource structures made of reinforced concrete, under the pressure of cyclical (???) loading and earthquakes.
- Changes in the leaning of the strut and its effect on reinforced concrete elements.
Hydrology, Drainage and Hydraulics
- The connection between rain and run-off water in the initial drainage areas near Ovdat – funded by an international consortium for arid countries.
- Preparation of a collection of publications on drainage engineering (as a guide for drainage engineers) – funded by the Shikma Besor Drainage Authority.
- New correlation between the frequency of floods and their size – funded by the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Decreasing the entry losses of sea containers – funded by private parties and the Dead Sea Drainage Authority.
- Cleaning system for residue from pipes.
Development of a wastewater treatment system through the use of a vibration system for dispersing bubbles.
R&D – Advanced Construction Materials and Processes
- Endurance of concretes and geopolymers in the Dead Sea region – funded by the Dead Sea Works
- Sealing gabions
- Solidifying radioactive waste through the use of geopolymers – funded by the Atomic Energy Committee
- Solidifying and stabilizing waste
- Developing extremely durable and strong materials
- Geopolymeric materials
- Corrosion of concrete and concrete reinforcement
- Fracture mechanics of fiber-armored cement materials
- R&D – Corrosion, Nano-bio and Advanced Materials in Industry
- Developing bio-environmental systems in the biotechnology sector
- Developing advanced alloys using nano-particles
- Developing alloys and improving their endurance to corrosion
- Corrosion in the automobile industry
- Coatings and protection methods
- Exhaustion corrosion and exertion corrosion of light metals
- Cathodic protection
- Marine corrosion
- Manufacturing optimization and methods for predicting the lifecycles of materials and devices in industry