Software plays a significant role in various high-technology industries, such as biotechnology and medicine, networks and computers, wireless communications, telecommunications and security. This department offers undergraduate and graduate studies in a wide range of expertise tracks, integrating educational disciplines from the fields of computers and industry.
Graduates of the department enjoy a synergetic approach to software engineering. This approach combines academic topics surrounding principles and theory, with technological topics focusing on skills and a deep understanding of updated technology.
B.Sc. Undergraduate Degree
Duration of Studies
Start of Studies
(Application Requirements (Undergraduate
- Fully Completed Matriculation Exams (High School Diploma)
- Psychometric / Psycho-technical Exam (Score of above 580)
- Admission Committee
- 5 Point Mathematics (Grade must be above 75)
- 5 Point Physics or Computer Science or Software Engineering (Grade must be above 70)
Pre-Academic Preparatory Program
Applicants who do not meet the application requirements may be accepted to undergraduate studies in software engineering following the successful completion of the SCE pre-academic preparatory program in engineering.
The software engineering department maintains a pre-academic preparatory program for undergraduate studies, designed to train its graduates to meet the computer software challenges of the 21st century. During their software engineering studies, students learn about the various duties of the software engineer – beginning with the initial stage of defining needs and the product, through all stages of development – and up to the final stages of creating a marketable product, that is implemented and maintained.
Studies in the software engineering department are all conducted in a Project Oriented environment. Developing a software product is a group effort that requires more than just professional knowhow, but also incorporates skills that are not technical in nature. These include the ability to communicate, work together as a team, delegate tasks, supervise progress and project processes, and assume responsibility for decisions. At SCE, students will benefit from a unique learning environment that enables them to acquire practical, hands-on experience, teamwork and project management.
Graduates of the department have:
- A professional, updated and comprehensive academic toolbox
- The ability to become part of a dynamic, rapidly evolving engineering field
- The capability to participate in all software product development stages
- The capacity to lead a software engineering project
- Knowledge in planning and producing software deliverables
- Proven ability to pursue advanced studies in software engineering, computer sciences and any other corresponding scientific engineering field
- Solid knowledge in the foundations of mathematics, natural sciences, exact sciences, computer sciences and software engineering methodologies
The Department of Software Engineering offers several specialization* tracks:
- Cyber – The goal of this track is to train outstanding graduates to answer the growing demand for cyber experts in the software industry in general, and particularly in the security sector, where “cyber” is a term that includes computer and network security for both defense and attack modes. The college, along with leading Israeli parties, established the cyber excellence program.
- Data science – The goal of this track is to expand students’ knowledge in the areas of big data processing, retrieval of online data and texts, recommendation systems, artificial intelligence applications, and more. This knowledge is on demand today with the purpose of developing efficient systems for detecting and predicting events, summarizing documents, filtering and retrieving data on search engines, and additional industry applications.
Unique elective courses will be determined according to the specialization track chosen by students in the third semester of their studies, during which suitable final project topics will be suggested as well.
*The specializations will not be included in the graduation certificate