Prof. Ariela Burg
I obtained my Masters and PhD degrees under the supervision of Prof. Dan Meyerstein and Prof. Haim Cohen in the Department of Chemistry at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. In my current role as a researcher in the Chemical Engineering Department of Sami Shamoon College of Engineering (SCE), collaboration is an integral part of my academic career. As such, I cooperate with a wide variety of researchers from my department, from other departments at SCE, industry, the Negev Nuclear Research Center and from BGU. I advise and mentor students from across the academic spectrum, including BSc students preparing their final projects in the fourth year of chemical engineering studies as well as graduate and doctoral students
I am interesting in five main subjects which are a major part of my study: Development of novel sol-gel based methods for the recycling of heavy metal ions and radioactive waste; Sol-gel matrices as ion and electron exchange columns and as redox catalysts; Development a method for printing nano particles as catalysts and electro catalysts; Study the mechanism of Fenton and Fenton like reaction in heterogeneous systems; Water oxidation for alternative energy
1999 - 2004 PhD in Chemistry Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Chemistry
1997 - 1998 MSc Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Chemistry
1993 - 1997 BSc Graduated Cum Laude Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Chemistry
•Sol-gel matrices as ion and electron exchange columns and as redox catalysts.
•Development of novel sol-gel based methods for the recycling of heavy for the recycling of heavy metal ions and radioactive waste.
•Printing nano particles for catalysis and electro catalysis.
•Fenton and Fenton like reaction mechanism.
2015 - 2018 Pazi Foundation, Sol-gel matrices as ion and electron exchange columns and as redox catalysts (Co-Researchers: Dr. Yael Albo, Dr. Dror Shamir)
2009 The Royal Society of Chemistry grant, The effect of Ligands on CuI catalyzed processes.
1. Neelam Singh, Yael Albo, Ariela Burg, Dror Shamir, Dan Meyerstein, "Electron exchange columns for the reduction of bromate ions in water". Submitted to the "Chemical Engineering Journal", 2017.
2. Michael Meistelman, Jaydeep Adhikary, Ariela Burg, Dror Shamir, Gregory Gershinsky, Dan Meyerstein, "Ag0 and Au0 Nanoparticles Encapsulated in Sol-Gel Matrices as Catalysts in Reductive De-halogenation Reactions". Submitted to the "Chemistry Today- Catalysis and Biocatalysis", 2017.
3. Ariela Burg, Yaniv Wolfer, Dror Shamir, Yael Albo, Haya Kornweitz, Eric Maimon, Dan Meyerstein, Electro-catalytic water oxidation by NiL2+, L=1,4,8,11-tetraaza-cyclotetradecane, in the presence of HCO3- or HPO42-/H2PO4-, accepted for publication, 2017.
4. Jaydeep Adhikary, Michael Meistelman, Ariela Burg, Dror Shamir, Dan Meyerstein, Yael Albo, Reductive Dehalogenation of Monobromo- and Tribromoacetic Acid by Sodium Borohydride Catalyzed by Gold Nanoparticles Entrapped in Sol-Gel Matrices Follows Different Pathways, European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry , (2017), 2017(11), 1510-1515.
5. Yael Albo Neelam, Dror Shamir, Ariela Burg, Subramanian Palaniappan, Gil Goobes, Dan Meyerstein, Polyoxometalates entrapped in sol-gel matrices for reducing electron exchange column applications, Journal of Coordination Chemistry (2016), 69(23), 3449-3457.
6. Yael Albo, Michael Meistelman, Ariela Burg, Dror Shamir, Dan Meyerstein, Entrapment of Ag and Au nanoparticles in sol-gel matrices for catalytic applications. The Optimization of Composition, Structure and Properties of Metals, Oxides, Composites, Nano and Amorphous Materials, Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, (2016).
7. Ariela Burg, Ella Fastovesky, Dror Shamir, Haya Kornweitz, Dan Meyerstein, The reaction between the peroxide VO(η2-O2)(pyridine-2-carboxylate)·2H2O and FeIIaq is not a Fenton-like reaction, Journal of Coordination Chemistry (2016), 69(11-13), 1722-1729.
8. Ariela Burg, Dror Shamir, Lina Apelbaum, Yael Albo, Eric Maimon, Dan Meyerstein, Electrocatalytic Oxidation of Amines by Ni-(1,4,8,11-tetraazacyclotetradecane)2+ Entrapped in Sol-Gel Electrodes, European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry (2016), (4), 459-463.
9. Ariela Burg, Yael Albo, Dror Shamir, Yair Lavi, Michael Meistelman Neelam, Dan Meyerstein. Transition metal complexes and nano-particles entrapped in sol-gel matrices as electron exchange columns and as redox catalysts. Chapter in “The Optimization of Composition, Structure and Properties of Metals, Oxides, Composites, Nano and Amorphous Materials”, Ed: M. Zinigrad and L. Leontiev, Ural Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Yekaterinburg, (2015).
10. Ariela Burg and Oshrat Levy-Ontman, Salt Effect on the Antioxidant Activity of Red Microalgal Sulfated Polysaccharides in Soy-Bean Formula, Mar. Drugs (2015), 13(10), 6425-6439.
11. Ariela Burg, Dror Shamir, Inna Shusterman, Haya Kornweitz, Dan Meyerstein, The role of carbonate as a catalyst of Fenton-like reactions in AOP processes, CO3.− as the active intermediate. Chemical Communications (2014), 50(86), 13096 – 13099.
Physical Chemistry Laboratory
Introduction to Nano Technology
Introduction to Chemistry
Analytical Chemistry Laboratory