Building Accessibility Accommodations on the Be’er Sheva Campus
The Sami Shamoon College of Engineering Be’er Sheva campus is located at 56 Bialik street, Be’er Sheva. In recent years the SCE is augmenting its work plan to enable persons with a disability easier and more convenient access to all campus facilities.
There are three parking areas on campus, two suited for persons with a disabled parking permit: the lower-level basement parking garage and the Basel upper-level parking garage. These parking garages also have parking spaces for tall vehicles.
- Underground - basement parking
There are several entrances to the lower-level parking garage: the main entrance from Bialik Street (front gate), and the rear entrance from Basel street (rear gate).
This parking garage has 8 parking spaces for persons with a disabled parking permit, 4 for tall vehicles.
The parking garage has three parking areas designated as accessible for persons with a disabled parking permit. These designated areas are near the accessible elevators in the following buildings: Safra, Katzir, D.
- Basel upper-level parking.
The entrance to the Basel upper-level parking garage is from Basel street (rear gate).
The upper-level parking garage has 1 parking space for persons with a disabled parking permit and is suited for a tall vehicle. An accessible path leads from this parking area to all campus buildings and to access to accessible elevators in the following buildings: Shamoon, Safra, Katzir and D.
Main Entrance and Pathways
Main Entrance Gate
An entrance/exit gate for wheelchairs is located alongside the main entrance.
Arrangements for Entering the Campus
- Students with a Ministry of Transportation disabled parking permit can contact the Student Support Center in the Dean of Students Office. You will be requested to fill a request form for accommodations and provide medical documents issued by medical specialists.
- Students with temporary mobility difficulties (e.g., following an accident or a disease), who are not recognized by the Ministry of Transportation, can contact the Student Support Center in the Dean of Students Office. You will be requested to fill a request form for accommodations and to present medical documents issued by medical specialists.
- Contact details on the Be’er Sheva campus: Ms. Anat Schwarzman, Head of the Student Support Center | telephone: 08-6475677, or by email: [email protected].
- Students and visitors with a Certificate of Blindness may enter the campus without a security check of their bag upon presenting the certificate to the security representative at the entrance.
Pathways to Buildings
- Step Hear audio guidance devices are installed along the pathways to buildings and passageways up to the elevators in the Shamoon, Safra and Katzir buildings.
- Wide entrance doors, opening systems for automatic sliding doors.
- There are 4 accessible elevator areas in the following buildings: Shamoon, Safra, Katzir and D.
- There are tactile warning surfaces at the entrance to all elevators.
Accessible Rest Rooms
Accessible rest rooms are located in the following buildings: Shamoon, Safra, Einstein, Katzir and D, on each floor of theses buildings.
Loop Hear devices are installed in service provider offices – the Student Administration and offices of the academic departments/units.
Accessible chairs are available in building hallways.
Marked Steps and Handrails
- Tactile warning surfaces in all stairways on campus.
- Ends of stairway handrails are marked so they do not end abruptly.
- Accessible signage along the way and at the exit from elevators in the Katzir and D buildings.
- Direction signs to stairways.
- Direction signs to accessible rest rooms in all buildings.
Minkoff Lecture Auditorium
- Auditorium seats and chairs adapted as needed.
- Designated accommodations for wheelchairs.
- Accessible entrance from the Safra building (Safra elevators) on the third floor.
- Accessible service counter, Loop Hear device is installed.
- Accessible men’s and women’s rest rooms on the same floor near the elevators.
- Accessibility to the computer workstations adjacent to the printer area.
- Accessibility to the photocopy/printing machine (1 of 4), adapted for persons in a wheelchair.
- Accessibility to the device for charging photocopy and printing cards.
Photocopy and printing machines in buildings
Accessible Computer Workstations on Campus:
- Shamoon building, first floor.
- Einstein building, fourth floor – study area.
- D building, first, second, third and fourth floor.
Accessible Printing/Photocopy Stations on Campus
- Accessibility of photocopy/printing machines is in-process with the concession company.
Accessibility to Classrooms
- Information about accessibility for persons with a physical disability and/or a hearing disability to campus auditoriums/classrooms – please contact the Accessibility Coordinator at 08-6475706 or email [email protected], or the head of the Student Support Center in the Dean of Students Office.
- Personal FM devices can be loaned from the Student Support Center for use in class by students with a hearing disability.
- Practice using English-reading software: on computers at the Student Support Center in the Dean of Students Office.
Wheelchair Accessible Lecture Halls
- Katzir building, ground floor, classroom 003, access from the main entrance. Please follow the signage.
- Katzir building, floor G, access through the building elevators from the ground floor.
- Kalaniot compound, Kalanit 3 classroom, access from the main entrance. Please follow the signage.
To reach the lecture stage with a wheelchair please contact the individual responsible for buildings in order to install a mobile ramp in coordination with the venue class schedule.
To the Be’er Sheva campus accessibility map click here
Inquiries and requests for improved accessibility
- We continue our efforts to improve SCE accessibility as part of our commitment to enable the entire population, including persons with a disability, to receive the most accessible services.
- If you encounter an accessibility problem or a malfunction please update us so that we can make every effort to find a suitable solution for your problem and address the malfunction as quickly as possible.
Contact details - Sami Shamoon College of Engineering Accessibility Coordinator
- Name: Mr. Menahem Aspit
- Telephone: 08-6575706
- Email: [email protected]